Barbados, Caribbean & World News
Friday, Oct 07, 2022
Pride and Industry
Add Your News
Islands near Panama 'could be underwater in decades'
Guna Yala, an archipelago off Panama’s eastern coast that contains more than 300 islands, could be underwater in 30 years.
"The sea water, the strong tides now enter the streets of the islands. Now it is happening more," said islander Magdalena Martinez.
Three-hundred houses have been built so far to relocate islanders on the mainland.
Although Panama's government has predicted the islands could be submerged by 2050, it does not currently have funds to relocate the other 30,000 islanders.
38 days ago
Well Al the problem is Panama does not own the islands the Guna Yala do so the government can not sell them but i would guess the crooks would love to. There are problems that will come up long before the water though, these people have been mostly self sufficient for many years and will do better than the people in the rest of Panama. I truly wish i was living with them on their islands
38 days ago
Since those islands will never be underwater, couldn't Panama sell the islands and use the proceeds to relocate the residents? I mean, we were told the Maldives would be underwater by 2018 and the most recent study shows that the average water level in the Maldives is actually lower today than when the prediction was made. Hmmm... wonder what other doomsday predictions have been made over history...
50 Years of Failed Doomsday, Eco-pocalyptic Predictions; the So-called ‘experts’ Are 0-50
1. 1967: Dire Famine Forecast By 1975
2. 1969: Everyone Will Disappear In a Cloud Of Blue Steam By 1989 (1969)
3. 1970: Ice Age By 2000
4. 1970: America Subject to Water Rationing By 1974 and Food Rationing By 1980
5. 1971: New Ice Age Coming By 2020 or 2030
6. 1972: New Ice Age By 2070
7. 1974: Space Satellites Show New Ice Age Coming Fast
8. 1974: Another Ice Age?
9. 1974: Ozone Depletion a ‘Great Peril to Life (data and graph)
10. 1976: Scientific Consensus Planet Cooling, Famines imminent
11. 1980: Acid Rain Kills Life In Lakes (additional link)
12. 1978: No End in Sight to 30-Year Cooling Trend (additional link)
13. 1988: Regional Droughts (that never happened) in 1990s
14. 1988: Temperatures in DC Will Hit Record Highs
15. 1988: Maldive Islands will Be Underwater by 2018 (they’re not)
16. 1989: Rising Sea Levels will Obliterate Nations if Nothing Done by 2000
17. 1989: New York City’s West Side Highway Underwater by 2019 (it’s not)
18. 2000: Children Won’t Know what Snow Is
19. 2002: Famine In 10 Years If We Don’t Give Up Eating Fish, Meat, and Dairy
20. 2004: Britain will Be Siberia by 2024
21. 2008: Arctic will Be Ice Free by 2018
22. 2008: Climate Genius Al Gore Predicts Ice-Free Arctic by 2013
23. 2009: Climate Genius Prince Charles Says we Have 96 Months to Save World
24. 2009: UK Prime Minister Says 50 Days to ‘Save The Planet From Catastrophe’
25. 2009: Climate Genius Al Gore Moves 2013 Prediction of Ice-Free Arctic to 2014
26. 2013: Arctic Ice-Free by 2015 (additional link)
27. 2014: Only 500 Days Before ‘Climate Chaos’
28. 1968: Overpopulation Will Spread Worldwide
29. 1970: World Will Use Up All its Natural Resources
30. 1966: Oil Gone in Ten Years
31. 1972: Oil Depleted in 20 Years
32. 1977: Department of Energy Says Oil will Peak in 1990s
33. 1980: Peak Oil In 2000
34. 1996: Peak Oil in 2020
35. 2002: Peak Oil in 2010
36. 2006: Super Hurricanes!
37. 2005 : Manhattan Underwater by 2015
38. 1970: Urban Citizens Will Require Gas Masks by 1985
39. 1970: Nitrogen buildup Will Make All Land Unusable
40. 1970: Decaying Pollution Will Kill all the Fish
41. 1970s: Killer Bees!
42. 1975: The Cooling World and a Drastic Decline in Food Production
43. 1969: Worldwide Plague, Overwhelming Pollution, Ecological Catastrophe, Virtual Collapse of UK by End of 20th Century
44. 1972: Pending Depletion and Shortages of Gold, Tin, Oil, Natural Gas, Copper, Aluminum
45. 1970: Oceans Dead in a Decade, US Water Rationing by 1974, Food Rationing by 1980
46. 1988: World’s Leading Climate Expert Predicts Lower Manhattan Underwater by 2018
47. 2005: Fifty Million Climate Refugees by the Year 2020
48. 2000: Snowfalls Are Now a Thing of the Past
49.1989: UN Warns That Entire Nations Wiped Off the Face of the Earth by 2000 From Global Warming
50. 2011: Washington Post Predicted Cherry Blossoms Blooming in Winter
View all comments (2)
Yet another sex abuse scandal hits the Catholic Church
Although sex scandals in the Catholic Church are routine and not news, we would like to share you with you the latest one. 383 new cases of abuse have been exposed by a Church ...
Apple is forced by the EU to stop ripping off its customers with the unique lightening charger and change the devices to the standard and efficient USB-C
Apple is making billions of dollars from monopolizing the charging system of their devices. Using standard USBC chargers will allow Apple users to buy chargers and cables that a...
Florida resident changes his state flag to Ukraine's so the U.S. Senate might start actually giving a damn about them
Meta board approves personal security for outgoing executive Sheryl Sandberg
Sheryl Sandberg recently stepped down as Meta COO, but the company will continue to pay for her personal security
About 82,000 still without power in Puerto Rico two weeks after Fiona
Around 82,000 homes and businesses were still without power in Puerto Rico on Thursday, over two weeks after Hurricane Fiona caused an island-wide outage for its 3.3 million peo...
Uber’s former security chief found guilty of hiding 2016 data breach
The Uber verdict marks a rare instance where a corporate information security officer was criminally charged with failing to disclose a hacking
Caribbean countries to seek 'loss and damage' as top priority at COP27, document says
Caribbean nations will unite to seek "loss and damage" compensation for the impact of climate change at the upcoming COP27 climate talks in Egypt, according to a report summariz...
NASA, SpaceX Crew-5 mission launches to space station
SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft reached orbit after launching from Florida
Cannabis stocks surge as Biden overhauls U.S. marijuana policy
Shares of U.S.-listed marijuana growers and sellers surged on Thursday after President Joe Biden took executive action to change U.S. policy on the drug, pardoning all prior fed...
US Court Halts Twitter-Elon Musk Trial, Asks To Close Deal By October 28
Twitter vs Elon Musk: The litigation was halted until Oct. 28 at 5 p.m. EDT to allow Musk, who is chief executive of electric car maker Tesla Inc, to finance the deal.
One Florida community built to weather hurricanes endured Ian with barely a scratch
Like many others in Southwest Florida, Mark Wilkerson seemingly gambled his life by choosing to shelter at home rather than evacuate when Hurricane Ian crashed ashore last week ...
Subscribe also to our WhatsApp channel:
Add Your News